Thread: New computer

Default New computer

Time for a new computer and it's been a while since I upgraded, admittedly behind the curve on what's available in today's computer. I guess most of the major suppliers don't bundle a ton of software anymore, which I'm fine with. Don't need a bunch of junk that I wouldn't use slowing the machine down.

I would use the machine mostly for pictures / video's and editing. I'll get as big a hard drive as I can, but was wondering if any of the tech geeks on our board wanted to recommend anything in regards to which brand / processors / chips / speed / operating system / motherboards / etc work better for graphics / video's?

I'm leaning towards Dell only because it's supporting a local economy and they seem to make as good a machine as anyone. Thoughts on this?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
    Gary Stoops
    '01 CBR 929RE
    '06 FJR 1300A

We bought a Dell and really like it. Got the most RAM I could get plus two 500 GB in a RAID. Also the best video card with the most video memory they had.
    Bryan B.
    2009 - 2012 San Antonio Chapter President
    Email Me.

04' ZX12R (Gone was a nice ride)
    11' ZX10R (OMG )

Get the fastest processor you can afford since you will have it for a while. Hard drives and memory are cheap but get as much as you can afford there too.

An Intel i7 quad core with at least 8 gigs of ram would be where I'd start. And make sure it has one of those mouse thingys too.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by CarlT; December 9th, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
    People told me I was going to get old, I didn't believe them

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

processor is key.

external memory is cheap. I bought a Buffalo external hard drive I keep my pictures on. Rated at 1 terabyte.
    paid about $75 if I remember at Altex.

Video card if you plan on gaming
    Mark
    VFR1200F

What are you editing? Video, pics or text?
    Paul Young
    2012 FJR 1300A
    1997 XV535
    1988 RC31

We can learn from everyone, even our adversaries. ~ Unknown

Mostly video and pictures. Other than that, the usual web stuff, some office work.
    Gary Stoops
    '01 CBR 929RE
    '06 FJR 1300A

It is hard to beat a Mac for video and pic editing.

Regardless of what you get, keep in mind it is far easier to add memory, external storage or a solid state drive later than it is to upgrade the CPU. Two physical drives will help with video editing.

My 6 year old Mac can rip through converting video files because I keep the CPU busy by using two SSD drives, one internal and one external on an FireWire connection. Having said that, I can only keep the CPU 80%ish busy.

I am not saying you should get a Mac, i was just using mine as an example that if you are carefull with what you buy you can tune the overall system to performe best for you.
    Paul Young
    2012 FJR 1300A
    1997 XV535
    1988 RC31

We can learn from everyone, even our adversaries. ~ Unknown

I've always heard Mac is very good for video type work. I'm just not used to em, and being the stick in the mud I am, probably will stay with something M/S and Intel equipped. I'm looking at nothing less than i7 processors and 8 gig of RAM and a minimally decent vid card. As stated, other upgrades such as Blu Ray dirves and more memory can be added later.
    Gary Stoops
    '01 CBR 929RE
    '06 FJR 1300A