Thread: When is a crash a good thing?

Default When is a crash a good thing?

I doubt anyone will argue with me that crashing sucks. But, sometimes a crash can turn out to be a good thing and it can actually save a life. In the spring, a guy I've ridden offroad with (Jay) crashed flying down a fire road down at Zars near Floresville. He hit pretty hard and was taken to the hospital in Floresville and then air-lifed to San Antonio. He ended up with ribs cracked in 10 places but when they examined tests run they discovered that he had a malignant cancerous spot on one of his kidneys. It was .2 cm from being terminal. He had no symptoms whatsoever. It was successfully removed and his kidney is fully functional. His wife used to hate his dirt bikes but now thinks they're a God-send. It's much easier for him to get a kitchen pass to go riding now.

Now to get a little closer to home. The end of September I was riding down at Zars like I usually do. Actually I was riding with Jay on his first time back after crashing and getting the cancer removed from his kidney (that part is really ironic). On the way back for the day, I ended up doing a face plant. Hit pretty hard and initially was only sore on my shoulder & hip. Normal stuff for the dirt. By Monday I noticed that I had a slight headache that wasn't too bad but it didn't go away. The headache lingered around during the week and I went and saw my Dr on Wednesday. I figured I might have gotten a minor concussion. He scheduled a MRI for me the next day. Thursday evening I got a call from the Dr's office telling me something you never want to hear after they've scanned your head - "we've found something we don't like." Crap! They wanted more tests so the next day I got a CT scan and a full body bone density scan. Dr's office called me that night and said I had a meningionma tumor. Double crap!! I checked with Dr Google and found out that usually it remains benign and doesn't cause much complications. My Dr office referred me to a neurosurgeon and I saw him the next Monday. He initially called it an incidental growth and didn't think radiation or surgery was needed. We would just monitor it for changes and act as needed. He ordered a MRA & MRV tests and wanted me to consult with a radiologist.

I got the test done and saw the radiologist yesterday. He said he was in a conference call with my neurosurgeon in the morning and both agreed that I was past the monitoring stage and the MRA & MRV tests revealed that the tumor has been restricting a major blood flow passage into my brain in the back of my head. It's happened slowly over time and the brain has rerouted blood flow around it but they both agreed that radiation was required. The radiation won't shrink the tumor but will keep it from growing more. Needless to say I was not expecting to hear all of that. So we'll get the procedure scheduled and go from there. The procedure is called the Gamma Knife and is usually an out-patient process. The radiologist said it would take about 1-1/2 hours which was longer than normal but not all that bad. Because of the way the tumor has grown and where it's located, surgery would be difficult and would result in a quick change in blood flow to the brain that could lead to complications. I kinda don't want them cracking open my skull anyway. They'll put a frame on my head screwing it into my skull and I'll be under sedation. Not knocked out but I probably won't remember much about what will be going on. The machine is kinda like a MRI. Fun stuff - NOT!

While the face plant didn't cause the tumor it did provide a reason for it to be discovered. Hopefully it was caught early enough and not cause any complications down the road. Besides, I'm not through bugging you guys around here.

So, sometimes a crash can be a good thing. Just not too often.
    People told me I was going to get old, I didn't believe them

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

'16 Husky TE250
    '06 Yamaha WR450F
    '98 Honda ST1100

Well that explains a lot! Just kidding! You have my number and know how to fine me if you need anything.

Deborah and I will be praying for the best.
    Bryan B.
    2009 - 2012 San Antonio Chapter President
    Email Me.

04' ZX12R (Gone was a nice ride)
    11' ZX10R (OMG )

Quote Originally Posted by CarlT View Post
    ... a guy I've ridden offroad with (Jay) crashed flying down a fire road down at Zars near Floresville. ..... they discovered that he had a malignant cancerous spot on one of his kidneys.....

....end of September I was riding down at Zars like I usually do.... Dr's office called me that night and said I had a meningionma tumor. .
    ... and you kept telling me riding on the dirt is safer than riding on the street! You can get hurt AND sick riding at Zars!!!

Just joking, buddy! Ditto on the "call me for anything" & the prayers.
    Doug Smith
    \'01 Yamaha FZ1

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    ... and you kept telling me riding on the dirt is safer than riding on the street! You can get hurt AND sick riding at Zars!!!
    I guess that really shoots down my logic huh?

Thanks Bryan and Doug, I really appreciate it. The weirdest part for me is that I haven't been feeling bad, no problems or symptoms at all.

Here's a pic of the blood vessel that is being blocked and has been rerouted. The line should go straight up the middle.

Blood vessel scan.jpg

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

'16 Husky TE250
    '06 Yamaha WR450F
    '98 Honda ST1100

Thanks for the update, Carl. I think I'll go crash the WR today. You're in our thoughts...keep us posted!
    PL Laird

2012 Yamaha FZ8
    My other bike is a Dubya Arr Fo Fiddy Eff

"Good judgment comes from experience,...experience comes from bad judgment."

Check out the TSBA Austin Chapter on Facebook

...They'll put a frame on my head screwing it into my skull and I'll be under sedation...
    so the new helmet comes installed, with drugs?

Hoping for the best Carl.
    DavidB
    When I bite into a York peppermint pattie, it's like turn 1 at TWS.

kind of the same thing with my brother. No crash, but he was having an upset stomach for a couple of days and while the doctor was x-raying his stomach he noticed something in his kidney. It was not part of the exam and he just happened to catch it. Turned out to be a malignant growth and his kidney had to be removed. the growth was the size of a small football
    Hope you recover soon and get back to all that you love...you have my number.
    Mark
    VFR1200F

Prayers and well wishes for a complete and quick recovery.
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. PL View Post
    Thanks for the update, Carl. I think I'll go crash the WR today. You're in our thoughts...keep us posted!
    This is really funny...now that I think about it.
    Staton Shed

06 Kawasaki ZX10R
    94 Ducati 900 SS/SP
    02 XR400R street legal

Quote Originally Posted by tojo92 View Post
    This is really funny...now that I think about it.
    Yeah, I was just kidding. Didn't really mean I would go out and crash but....

While out on the WR450 the next day (after that post) at Hidden Falls with Mongo and a couple of buddys, T-Boned a KTM. I don't know how fast, Mongo thinks about 35 mph. I know I was upshifting and had about enough time to think "OH Fook!" before the collision. Hard hit. It was scary.
    Result is...sore wrist, it swelled up like a grapefruit. Chest and ribs REAL sore...cracked the rooster protector. A few bite marks on the nose from the goggles/face bar. Nose isn't broken, but I've been blowin bloody boogers for a week.
    The other rider was OK. I hit him right behind the left peg on the swing arm. Thankfully I didn't hit his leg. For once I was glad I outweighed someone by about 60 lbs!!!
    Could have been MUCH worse...thanks Mongo for helping me get the bike back home and unloaded!!
    PL Laird

2012 Yamaha FZ8

Praying for you Carl and man that is scary stuff.Hang in there Carl you will be fine.
    [SIGPIC]

Thanks guys.

Tomorrow morning I go in for the radiation treatment. They say I'll be finished by noon or so.

While this crash was a good one, Sunday before last wasn't. I went out for a light ride with Devon (has a Brutale 750). I needed to clear my head a little after finding out the news about my head. He brought his wife & two small sons and we were planning a picnic and give the boys a ride on the gas tanks. Devon & I headed out for a quick loop and I went over a small jump wrong. I've done it before and you have to carry some speed as you clear a cross trail. I didn't want to ride that hard so I just rolled it but didn't slow down enough. The front wheel hit the other side and the angle stopped my momentum, at least the momentum of the bike. I went over the bars and landed on my shoulder. When I got up I knew I'd screwed something up bad. I ended up breaking my collarbone in several places. Here's the x-ray.

Devon took me to the ER Sunday night and then helped me unload all my stuff on Monday. I had surgery on Thursday. Found out it was broken in 4 places, sone at clean right angles and a few at jagged slants. Even on Hydrocodone the pain hurt pretty good at times. The surgery required a plate and 9 screws. When the Dr came in to see how I was doing, he said I would see him in a couple of weeks, a month, and then a couple more months, he asked me if I had any questions and I only had 1, how long would it be before I could ride again. I'm sure that at that point my sister was wondering just how,insane I actually was. The Dr looked at me and said "riding is your passion right? I told him it was and he said after about 3months I should be good to go.

This week has been a wild one for sure. I've been to work for a few hours each day. I had to pull out the truck to drive and I've been on more meds. I'm still sore but it seems to getting less and less. If some of my word structure doesn't seen totally coherent, I'm blaming the meds. They gave me a script for Ambien to help sleep on the Hydrocodone.

Anyway, it's been hard to find out any good out of this one. I have learned something though. Whenever I go out riding, I need to ride hard and fast (relative term here) instead of parade mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

'16 Husky TE250
    '06 Yamaha WR450F
    '98 Honda ST1100

Here's a couple more x-rays:

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

'16 Husky TE250
    '06 Yamaha WR450F
    '98 Honda ST1100

Here's a couple more x-rays:

I have one of those!!! My brake/plate looks just like yours.
    Well sounds like every thing is going to work out for the good, that is great. Trust me, when it gets cold (like today) it will feel odd under the skin.

Wish the best for you.

Nutt
    \02 BMW R1150 GS-Adventure
    \14 Yamaha FZ8
    \66 Ducati 160 monza Jr

>Where is that dictin....dicshi...dick... You know, that book with all those words in it!!!

back when everything was black and white,
    old-BW-film.JPG

maybe we should all have bone plates in our signatures?
    DavidB
    When I bite into a York peppermint pattie, it's like turn 1 at TWS.

LOL!!! This has turned in to the "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" thread.

Update on my pains. I have a couple of scars on the nose from the goggles/chin bar. My sternum hurts like hell when I cough or sneeze, but otherwise OK. Ribs high under the left arm are still sore but nothing serious. Right wrist is still a little sore...mobility is still limited and strength is about 60%, but getting better every day.
    Never went to the doctor so I don't have any cool Xray pix to post.

Haven't riddent the FZ8 since the crash (3 weeks?)...partially due to weather, but mainly because I don't have the dexterity in my right wrist to manage the throttle and brake.
    PL Laird

2012 Yamaha FZ8

Thanks Thomas. I found that out when I used an ice pack on it.

Yeah PL, my dad dug up some Christmas '62 family photos yesterday and there was no color. I had hair too.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

'16 Husky TE250
    '06 Yamaha WR450F
    '98 Honda ST1100

My gamma knife procedure went well although it turned into quite a drawn out procedure. I arrived at the hospital at 4:30 am on Friday, Nov 22 to get checked in the ready to go by 6:30. Procedure was supposed to be around an hour and a half and I'd be out of there around noon. They attached the halo brace around my head and then I went down for a MRI. I could feel the front two pins go through the skin but it felt like a prick and not painful. As I was getting ready to go, they wheeled me down for another MRI. I waited and waited and nothing happened all morning. It was after 1 before they even started. Because of the size and shape of my tumor (it had a little tail like growth), it took them quite a while to figure out how they were going to do the procedure. They map out reference points for the radiation to concentrate at and my list had 373 reference points. The nurse told me that it was the longest list they'd ever had at the center. The list was so long that the computer wouldn't load the program. Finally the physicist came up with a solution and I went in after 1.

It ended up being almost 3 hours in one position and then they changed out the intermediate bracket to tilt my head back a little and then another 51 minutes. The procedure itself was really unobtrusive. Since I was doped up, I really didn't feel much and the machine only made a little sound every now and then. They could stop it at anytime and move me out which was needed off and on to give me more meds as I started to feel some discomfort. After about 2-1/2 hours, my lower back started hurting and then would have to move me out so I could stretch it out. They swapped brackets and the last 51 minutes were the worse. I couldn't get comfortable and I had to be moved out to stretch my back several more times. They were done around 5 and they said it was a successful treatment. I finally got a soda to drink and some yogurt and they moved me up to a room to recover around 5:20. Up there I had a sandwich and some cookies. I was starving. I didn't feel too good but I was ready to get out of there. I was discharged by 6:30 and headed home.

They said you can return to work the next day but if you could take it easy that would be best. Since this was on a Friday, it worked out pretty good. I woke up Saturday with a weird headache and the back of my scalp was numb. I found out that's usually caused by the halo pins pinching a nerve. The numbness lasted about 5 days and since then, my scalp has been sore. The pin points are pretty much healing up now but I still wake up with the weird headache. It's not intense which is good, just weird. I go back to a MRI and followup with the radiologist in 4 months.

November has turned into quite an ordeal for me. Some which was good to discover and take care of, and some self-inflicted. Either way, I'll be glad when it's over.

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

'16 Husky TE250
    '06 Yamaha WR450F
    '98 Honda ST1100