Thread: Put a fork in it.

Hybrid View

Default Put a fork in it.

Dang fellas... I was going to post up a bunch of gear but not seeing much use in it. For those still around hope all is well. Sold my N1K to Ben and Marc is picking up the track bike. Haven't thrown a leg over in a couple of years. Meth head plaid chicken with me on the back roads ruined the fun. ..proverbial straw.. Bought a Miata with an LS3 in it for back road carving. But most the free time is now spent in a Jeep rock crawling. Just upgraded to a beast with an LS1, Atlas, and one ton axles on beadlocked 37's. ...anyhow... stay safe and happy 4th!
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Don't know what a meth head plaid chicken is, but if it ruined riding for you it doesn't sound good.

A super Miata?! Nice! I've read about those and saw one years ago in action at an SCCA event, sounds like ball of fun! Don't know about rock crawling though, used to do some mudding back in the day and that was fun. And pretty much anything with a small / big block chevy is going to be a heinous good time.

We still get together down here for some riding and social events, just not as much as we used to. The Hill Country is getting so prolific with Pirates anymore it pretty much takes the fun out of going out there. I'm doing AR a couple times a year and went to CO for a couple weeks a year or so ago. That seems to be my riding now a days, bigger rides with daily commuting thrown in. Going on 88K in the FJR. Would like to break 100K just to say I put a bike over the ton mark, then get a newer one.

Going out to blow off a ton of fireworks later this evening with Tiller and family. Hope your Fourth is a good / safe one.
    Gary Stoops
    '01 CBR 929RE
    '06 FJR 1300A

"plaid" was supposed to be "played" but I suspect you knew that. The Jeep club gives me chuckles. It's set up just like TSBA as a non profit and ossifers they call their board. I stay the hell outa the politics side. Learned my lesson. But its funny they have the exact same issues all the way down to a spin off forum that is looser. Their are two flavors of the V8 Miatas. The 'Monster Miata' is Ford based and has been around nearly as long as the oem car. The LS version are often referred to as 'Flyn Miatas' adter the company in CO that makes kits and does turn key builds. Mine was built by them. Never would have though I'd prefer a cage, but these days I'm thinking of upgrading the roll bar to an actual full cage. I just plain hurt too much daily to risk bouncing my body off the blacktop again. I'll leave that to you spry young guys. Congrats on the Mileage. Are you near or passed where Carl was with his Kawasaki?
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Yes, that is correct. The Monster M was the 5.0 installed. If I remember right, the weight bias of the V-8 Miata's isn't much different from the original motored ones making them little hellions for power and handling. One would think the weight bias would be all screwed up by adding a hefty engine up front, but apparently not.

As for clubs, they all have the same problems. I was in car clubs and gun clubs before TSBA and yes, they too had similar problems. It's how the leadership handles it in the end that makes or breaks them.

Carl had over 100k on his ZX.. something like 115 I think. So I'm still not in league with him!
    Gary Stoops
    '01 CBR 929RE
    '06 FJR 1300A

Quote Originally Posted by Inlaw1 View Post
    Yes, that is correct. The Monster M was the 5.0 installed. If I remember right, the weight bias of the V-8 Miata's isn't much different from the original motored ones making them little hellions for power and handling. One would think the weight bias would be all screwed up by adding a hefty engine up front, but apparently not.

My LS3 swap added a total of 200# to the car and the majority of it is the T56 transmission so its low and nearly center. It handle great and no differently from a Miata with similar suspension mods. Most people also assume they won't get traction. I'm making 445 to the rear wheels and got enough traction to run the 1/4 in 12.095 and 125 mph. There's more in it, but it was my first time trying to launch it from a dig and the first time I've ever gone to the drags. Went to meet up with a guy that had just finished a LS1 build.

http://vid448.photobucket.com/albums...psziv7sndq.mp4

As for the club politics...its just best I stay away out of em.
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata

Quote Originally Posted by ZedX View Post
    As for the club politics...its just best I stay away out of em.
    Now where's the fun in that? Lol!!!

Your Miata sounds like a blast. Last time on the street for me was a ds ride up in AR a few years ago.

My Rex had 136k on the clock when I sold it a few years ago, probably has 138k by now. Lol

I'm still playing in the dirt. I'm averaging about 700 miles of singletrack a year down near Floresville alone. Some CO trips mix it up for me.

Hope you guys are having a great Thanksgiving.
    People told me I was going to get old, I didn't believe them

Carl
    San Antonio Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by CarlT View Post
    Now where's the fun in that? Lol!!!

Your Miata sounds like a blast. Last time on the street for me was a ds ride up in AR a few years ago.

My Rex had 136k on the clock when I sold it a few years ago, probably has 138k by now. Lol

I'm still playing in the dirt. I'm averaging about 700 miles of singletrack a year down near Floresville alone. Some CO trips mix it up for me.

Hope you guys are having a great Thanksgiving.
    The Miata is for sale. Had my fun. Just sold my YJ (Jeep). I bought a 99TJ with an LS1, one ton axles, coilover shocks on long arm suspension and Atlas transfer case....full on rock crawler. No more bikes in the stable. The ZX6 is still sitting in there but just cold storage while Marc's house is being built.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Michael
    445whp LS3 Miata